Sunday, February 27, 2011

The family as a unit

In years passed I found at Parent Education Nights, there were usually a few fathers and a considerably larger number of mothers in attendance. More recently, however, I've been delighted to observe a trend where Parent Education events bring a more evenly distributed group - mothers and fathers are beginning to attend together, perhaps sharing the parenting role more equally. As a Childbirth Educator and Family Coach, the inclusion of mothers, fathers and children together is a primary focus for me. Rather than considering the child's development independent from the family, I like to consider the child a part of the family unit. I feel this perspective allows for a greater appreciation of each member's unique contributions, their value in the family unit, and the beautiful dynamic only they could bring to the home.