Friday, January 6, 2012

My Baby Journey (sonogram & heartbeat)

As soon as we discovered the amazing news, we hopped online to find a new ob/gyn. I have a gynecologist which I've gone to for about ten years, however, the drive to his office is a little far. Since I'm now running a business from my home, I'm opting for a closer ob/gyn, especially for the much more frequent pregnancy appointments.
We found an amazing doctor right in our area and had the first appointment on Wednesday at 4:00. I was nervous all day. (Neither of us slept the night before!) I tried to keep my mind occupied throughout the day, however, my thoughts kept drifting back to the appointment... what would it be like?... will I get to see anything?... is everything okay so far???
We arrived right on time and as soon as we were taken back to our room, the nurse came in and put us at ease. She confirmed our pregnancy! Then, she invited us to the sonogram room where I was instructed to change. One surprise I had was that it was a VAGINAL SONOGRAM. Okay, I should have expected this but for some reason I was thinking it would be the kind of sonogram where they'd rub jelly on my tummy and then we'd see a picture on the screen. No. The vaginal sonogram wasn't as scary as the initial surprise let on. The sonogram wand was about 12 inches long (only about 3 inches were actually inserted) and about 1 inch wide. The doctor had turned off the lights in the room. On the monitor, we were able to see a little pac-man looking circle that kept flashing. She told us that was our baby at 6 weeks - the 'flashing' was actually the beating of the baby's heart. I was so amazed and excited. Tears filled my eyes to the brim. She said that normally, you can't hear the heartbeat this early, so we shouldn't get our hopes up that high. But, after turning the volume up all the way on her machine - there it was! A little thump thump, thump thump. Brett & I just looked at each other in disbelief! We are going to be parents.