Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Baby Journey - Vomiting & Vitamin Deficiency

Nearly 10 weeks along, I'm happy, excited, a little anxious, and eagerly awaiting the completion of my first trimester. Since my last post about morning sickness, I have to say that I've continued to feel very nauseated and vomiting more frequently. I'm extremely tired... to the point I literally want to take naps every day (not that I'm actually able to of course!). When my 11 hour workday ends each evening, I eat dinner, take vitamins and, leaving room for little else, find myself retiring to bed for the night... In case you're asking yourself "what's the perfect amount of sleep?", I'll share that averaging about 10 hours of sleep helps me feel the best when I awake each morning.
On another note, I received a call last week from my OB/GYN to discuss my most recent blood test. The results? I have vitamin deficiencies in both iron & b12. I've been borderline anemic during my adult life which has been primarily caused by heavy flow periods. I thought that since I'd been taking a daily prenatal vitamin for the past year (in preparation for conception) that I would avoid any deficiencies once I got pregnant. I was surprised at the blood test results of course, but I'm glad to know now so early in my pregnancy.
My doctor has instructed me to continue the daily prenatal along with a prescription grade supplemental vitamin (thank goodness she gave me samples enough for about a month!). At first, the double dose of vitamins upset my stomach more than usual, but now, I just make sure I eat a carb-dense dinner and go straight to bed. Actually, this has helped me to keep weight on since I had been losing weight due to frequent vomiting.
Later this week, I have another prenatal appointment and I'm absolutely THRILLED to share more sonogram pictures. :)